Use Cases 2.0 with ChatGPT’s Help for Lean IT Requirements
Develop Use Cases Faster and Better by Leveraging Generative AI Technologies like ChatGPT-4 and Applying Lean Principles
Duration: 3.5 hours on-demand videos
Format: Online course
Author: Tom and Angela Hathaway
Also available as a face-to-face instructor-led course (traditional classroom and online)
What is this course about?
Business Use Cases Help You Manage Complexity
Immerse yourself in the realm of Lean Business Use Cases, the quintessential tool to simplify your product backlog management. This comprehensive course is tailored to assist business leaders in defining, clarifying, and organizing the essentials for digital solutions, breaking down the barriers of technical jargon.
Added Feature: Harness Generative AI with ChatGPT for Use Case Diagrams & Specifications
In our commitment to keeping pace with the rapidly evolving technology landscape, we’ve integrated AI demonstrations featuring ChatGPT. It’s not just about understanding use case diagrams anymore; it’s about efficiently creating them. Learn how to partner with AI to generate optimal use case specifications and explore how AI can contribute to your technical journey.
Streamline Your Digital Solutions Delivery with Lean Business Use Cases
Lean Use Cases are your roadmap to navigating the intersection of business and technology. They translate the intricate dance between human interactions and technology into a language that both business aficionados and tech pros can understand and appreciate.
Elevate User Stories with Contextual Clarity: Unleash the Power of Use Cases
User Stories and requirements do a solid job of communicating business needs, but they can stumble when it comes to providing context. This course champions Lean Use Case Models as the solution, offering this missing context in a palatable format, thereby enhancing understanding and reducing potential pitfalls.
Visualize reducing miscommunication and avoiding incorrect requirement implementations by leveraging Lean Use Cases. Regardless of your Agile Teams’ location, Lean Use Cases significantly shorten development time and ensure your product is perfectly aligned with business needs.
Strike the Right Balance with Lean Use Cases for Every Audience
Lean Use Cases are gaining traction as the method of choice for defining and communicating functional requirements in Lean and Agile environments. Learn to apply the Lean philosophy’s waste reduction principles to create an efficient communication tool for your software development team.
Technical expertise isn’t a prerequisite—crafting a Lean Use Case is a skill we believe anyone on your team can learn and excel at. This course guides you in creating and managing Lean Use Cases at various levels of detail, giving your IT applications the solid grounding they need to perform as per your expectations.
Enhance Your Agile Communication with Lean Use Cases
Rich in practical exercises and real-world examples, this course delves into the ins and outs of Lean Use Case models. Learn how to enrich your Agile software development process with Lean Use Cases, providing the right level of detail at every stage.
We also probe into techniques like Event-Response Analysis, Vision Statement Analysis, and Scenario-based Use Case Identification to help you discover and define effective Use Cases.
By the end of this course, you’ll be well-versed in drafting comprehensive Use Cases, defining actors, pre-conditions, post-conditions, primary and alternate paths, exception paths, and more. Prepare to transform your business communication and product development with the strategic use of Lean Use Cases.
Who should take this course?
- Product Owners
- Business- and Customer-side Team Members
- Business Analysts
- Requirements Engineers
- Agile Team Members
- Subject Matter Experts (SME)
- Project Leaders and Managers
- AND “anyone wearing the business analysis hat”, meaning anyone responsible for defining a future IT solution
What Can You Do After the Course?
You will learn how to:
- Evaluate how generative AI like ChatGPT can help business analysts work faster and deliver better results
- Defend the need for lean use cases to reduce waste in the requirements discovery process
- Document user interaction in Lean Use Cases descriptions and diagrams
- Define and defend the need for Lean Use Cases
- Describe the major components of a Lean Use Case
- Document user interaction in Lean Use Cases descriptions and diagrams
- Determine how to handle standard paths then address alternate and exception situations
- Extract Use Cases from a Vision Statement including assistance from ChatGPT-4
- Apply Business Event Analysis to discover Lean Use Cases based on business activities
- Analyze business scenarios to discover Lean Use Cases
Detailed Course Outline
Welcome to the Requirements Gathering with Use Cases
- A New Take on Use Cases and the AI Revolution
- About Your Instructor
Lean Use Cases Communicate Requirements and User Stories in Context
- Understanding the Lean Concept and How It Relates to Use Cases
- Use Cases Capture Requirements in Terms the Business and IT Both Understand
- The Lean Philosophy Increases the Value Added by Eliminating Unnecessary Waste
- Agile Software Development and Lean Requirements Create User-Focused Solutions
- Lean Requirements Are Defined at the Last Responsible Moment
- Use Cases vs User Stories
- Revealing and Removing Waste by Building Use Cases Incrementally
- Business Analysts and Developers Benefit from Use Cases that Add Value
Use Case Diagrams Provide a Big Picture Perspective of Needed Functionality
- Use Case Models vs Use Case Diagrams: What Is the Difference? Why Does It Matter
- The Use Case Model
- Actors Are Integral to Use Cases
- Use Case Diagram Symbols and Rules
- Use Case Naming Recommendations
- DEMO Using ChatGPT to Create a Use Case Diagram from a Vision Statement
- Different Use Case Types for Different Decisions
- Business Use Cases Need Briefs
- Examples of Use Case Briefs
- ChatGPT and a Business Analyst Collaborate to Create a Use Case Brief
Lean Use Case Descriptions Provide the Right Level of Detail at the Right Time
- Components of a Use Case Specification and How Each Contributes to the Whole
- The Purpose of Solution-Level (Detailed) Use Cases
- The Components of a Detailed Use Case
- A Detailed Use Case has Pre- and Post-Conditions
- Paths (or Flow of Events) Are the Meat of the Use Case
- How to Represent a Path or Flow of Events
- The ChatGPT Advantage
- 3 Different Types of Paths
- Dealing with “Ifs” (Conditions) in a Use Case
- Examples of Main, Alternative, and Exception Paths
- Finding and Developing Alternative and Exception Paths
- System Use Cases to Communicate with Technical Experts
- The Role of Non-Functional Requirements in Use Cases
- Recap of the Detailed Use Case
Inclusions and Exceptions Add Clarity to Domain Experts and Software Developers
- Two Use Case Features Underscore the Lean Principles
- Introducing Use Case Inclusions and Extensions
- Avoid Redundant Use Cases with Inclusions
- Understanding Use Case Extensions
- Summary of Extensions and Inclusions
Find Use Cases in Vision Statements, Events, Requirements, and User Stories
- Introducing 3 Sources for Finding Lean Use Cases To Kickstart Specifications
- Source 1 From Vision Statement to Use Case
- Source 2 From Business Events to Use Cases
- The Purpose of Event/Response Analysis
- Types of Events
- Discovering and Naming Business Events
- Business Events Trigger Use Cases
- Determining Event Response Recipients
- Use Cases Handle Events at Every Level
- Discovering Event Responses
- From Event Response to Use Case Identification
- Identifying Actors from Events and/or Responses
- Dealing with Scheduled Events
- Source 3 Using Scenarios – A Bottom-Up Approach
- Add Scenarios to Reveal Different Paths
Summary and Bonus Lecture
- Review of Concepts Covered and Cross-Reference to Learning Objectives